Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Carrot and Coriander Soup

This is a recipe I've made a few times, and I love it. My dad said it tasted "vegetable-y," but everyone else who has had it liked it. I got the recipe off of the BBC Food website, but I have since altered it some. The first time I made it, it was a "cleaning out my fridge before I move back to the states" dinner party, and I served it with apple raspberry crisp and raw ginger ice cream (cashew based). Since the latter is not allowed on the Daniel Fast, I'll save the recipe for another day.

Carrot and Coriander Soup
Ingredients:
1 tbsp vegetable oil (olive oil works fine)
1 onion, sliced
1 sweet potato, sliced (like you're making mashed potatoes)
1 lb carrots, sliced (I used about 6)
1 tsp ground coriander
4 c. veggie stock
large bunch fresh coriander (or for you non-Brits, cilantro), roughly chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
1. Heat the oil in a large soup pan, and add the onions. Cook until they start to soften. Add the ground coriander, and give it another stir or two.
2. Add the carrots and sweet potato, and add the veggie stock.
3. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 10-20 minutes, or until the carrots and sweet potato are tender.
4. Using a hand/immersion blender, blend the soup until you are happy with the consistency. You can do this in a regular blender, but be careful of the steam.
5. Add the chopped coriander/cilantro, and serve.

When I blend it, I add the cilantro first, and then blend, so I don't have to chop it as much by hand first.

This soup is freezable, too!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Mmm...I need to try this soup soon. It sounds really yummy.
    And I think, had you been at the concert, your Pantene hair would have really sealed the deal for us...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I know! Amazing!! I miss it.

    ReplyDelete