Thursday, May 21, 2009

Mother's Day Food

A few weeks ago, for mother's day, I cooked dinner for my mom and grandma. My mom's favorite dish is non-vegetarian, so I'm only going to share the sides with you.

This first one is very modify-able. I don't have a title for it, since I made it up.

Quinoa with chick peas and tomatoes:
1 can diced tomatoes in juice (no salt added)
1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed (or if you want, dried and soaked appropriately)
1 c. water
2/3 c. quinoa
salt and pepper to taste
parsley to taste

In a medium saucepan, combine the tomatoes, water, and chick peas. Bring to a boil, and add quinoa. Cook quinoa according to the package directions. Add salt, pepper, and parsley (if desired). Eat.

Some variations:
-Use ro-tel and black beans instead of regular tomatoes and chick peas
-Add other vegetables
-Sub any bean you want for chick peas.
-Use veggie broth instead of water


The other side was a salad, and it was only fun because of the spiralizer I used to make it.

Summer Squash Salad:
1 zucchini
1 yellow squash
~1 tbsp lemon juice
~1/2 - 1 tbsp olive oil
Fresh mint

I used a spiralizer to cut the squash, but you could use a vegetable peeler instead if you want. I cut the zucchini into angel hair pasta style pieces, and I used the wider, ribbon setting for the yellow squash. Cut the mint leaves over the squash, and toss with lemon juice and olive oil to taste. It's kinda weird, but kinda good.

I'll work on posting pictures later. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment